 Off-Topic / Debate / 588
Re: Mini Auction - 6273 - Rock Island Refuge
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 5 Mar 1999 22:58:16 GMT

Steve Scott wrote:

par.a.site - any organism that grows, feeds and is sheltered in or on a
different organism while contributing nothing to the survival of its host.
Sums it up, you have to admit!  BTW, I have apologised privately for any
offence caused.

Interesting. I'm glad you posted the dictionary definition, it warms
this old pedant's heart to see argument from authority. :-)

I see your reasoning, I think. In your view, either you're the organism
(and an appendage of the organism is the thread itself) or the thread is
the organism, and Bendyarm is gaining sustenance from it without a
contribution. In that view, you're right.

But I'd posit a larger view. Consider LUGNET as the organism rather than
the thread. In that case, one could argue that the THREAD is the
parasite. and Bendy is no more or less a parasite than the thread is.
Unless you wish to argue that the thread (the auction postings) was
giving sustenance to LUGNET in return... but if it was, what sort of
sustenance?

Why, the sustenance of commerce, naturally. Commerce is good for LUGNET.
But under that argument Bendy's post of commerce is also sustenance. So
in that view, no, he's not parasiting.

A similar argument could be made that YOU'RE the parasite in that you're
leaching from LUGNET... and so is Bendy. But that's specious as I or
anyone else can easily demonstrate that both of you have made positive
contributions. Neither is a parasite.

So in any view of components other than the one I outlined as what I
perceive to be your view (in which you, a parasite on LUGNET got
parasited yourself) there is no parasitism.

But this is the sort of semantic wrangling that, while I love to engage
in it, adds little value.

Perhaps a rights based analysis is required. I leave that to another
post....

I DO think there is value in determining what is good etiquette here.
I'm convinced Eric was within his rights to post to your thread, and I'm
convinced he wasn't  "parasiting"... but there remain a few questions.

Is it polite to post a counter offer in an auction thread?
Maybe not.

Is it polite to respond the way you did?
Probably not, an offline post would have been better. You DID apologise,
so I'm not picking on you about that at this time. I'm just using this
example to help the community develop rules and mores and guidelines.
Hope you don't mind. But it's my thread now, after all. :-)

Should there be a RULE about it? I don't think so. Not at all.

Stop the FDIC from spying on us! Go to
http://www.defendyourprivacy.com and sign the petition.
- This is a family newsgroup, thanks.