 Off-Topic / Debate / 608
Re: Mini Auction - 6273 - Rock Island Refuge
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 00:02:52 GMT

On Fri, 5 Mar 1999 22:58:16 GMT, Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net>
wrote:

...<snip stuff>....but there remain a few questions.

Always willing to oblige.

Is it polite to post a counter offer in an auction thread?
Maybe not.

Agreed.

Is it polite to respond the way you did?

I don't think so. Actually, everything but the parasite comment was ok
im my (admittedly hardened by a few years of Usenet) view. A bit
piqued, yes, but parasite is going too far, not in the least because,
well, it's a very loaded word on the Lego groups. Most other
ad-hominems would have been okay with me. It's not good argumentative
style to call someone a dickhead or whatever, but at least there's no
_specific_ negative connotations... Is anyone following what i'm
trying to say? I'm not quite sure if I even do :-)

Should there be a RULE about it? I don't think so. Not at all.

No way. Rules should be as general as possible, and I see no way to
formulate a rule that would a) not allow the stuff under discussion b)
not disallow anything else and c) still be general. If this was turned
into a rule (other than: Use your best judgement..), Lugnet would
eventually be stifled in rules. And none of us wants to see that...
right?

Jasper "maybe it's time for bed again" Janssen