 Off-Topic / Debate / 5769
Re: Why is AIDS such a big deal?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 26 May 2000 14:09:22 GMT

In part.  Yes.  I think it's important that everyone understands that.  I think
the same thing about another touchy subject, rape victims.  Victims in all
sense own part of the responsibility for their situation.  To some degree
everyone who gets in an accident is _partially_ responsible for that accident.

Chris

Ok..into the fray I plunge: You have a point regarding promiscuous (spelling?)
behavior, but I know someone who was raped when an intruder broke into her
house.  I'd hardly blame the victim in that case.  I wholeheartedly disagree
with your statement that, "victims in all sense own part of the responsibility
for their situation." That is a statement that I'd suggest needs some
moderating.  However, I do agree with you insofar that this country has a pass-
the-buck, victim mentality; hence lawsuit abuse, (ex: "let's-sue-the-city-
because-my-son-was-shot-with-a-gun" nonsense), and a political climate in which
most citizens look to government to solve most social problems.  Anyway, I think
that our country collectively expects the government to suckle us - Americans
have become wards of the state.  Ok, rambling diatribe endeth.