 Off-Topic / Debate / 5765
Re: Why is AIDS such a big deal?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 26 May 2000 13:22:26 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ed Jones writes:
[snip]
There was risk involved, the accident was not my fault, but I should
assume the responsibility for the damages?

You bear ultimate responsibility for your situation.  In every way.  To claim
less is to give up something so valuable that I can't even approach why you
might want to.

You lost me there - "To claim less is to give up something so valuable that I
can't even approach why you might want to."  I have no idea what the comment
means.

Right, sorry about that.  I mean that to give up ultimate responsibility for
your own situation is essentially the same thing as volunteering for a kind of
slavery.  It's like saying that you're not capable of taking responsibility for
your potential future situation and that you need help.  To do so is to give
power away, and such a course is not for me.

I think I'm at risk of sounding like I'm against being able to assign financial
liability to others.  That's not the case.  It's just that when push comes to
shove, I don't expect anyone else to care for me.  Only I can do that.

Just stating my case that a person is not always responsible for the risks
that they take by showing a legal example.

I still think that a person _is_ always responsible for the risks they take.
But sometimes, fault of others can (and should) override taking that
responsibility in the harshest sense.

Yes there is no fault insurance, however, in my example above, my rates • would
instantly be raised by my insurance company through no fault of my own.

Through no fault of your own?  What if you hadn't been out driving?  What if
you'd been driving in places where the roadway association assured more • careful
drivers?  What if you didn't make a claim against your insurance?

And your point is?  That because I drove, the accident is my fault because I
was in the wrong place and the wrong time?

In part.  Yes.  I think it's important that everyone understands that.  I think
the same thing about another touchy subject, rape victims.  Victims in all
sense own part of the responsibility for their situation.  To some degree
everyone who gets in an accident is _partially_ responsible for that accident.

Now, the government as an absorber or moderator of risk is basically
insurance.  Right?  Insurance is a good thing.

Why must we all be forced into a particular insurance system, or to have
insurance at all?

All of life is a risk.  The government is certainly not the only "absorber or
moderator of risk."  Would you consider your parents "insurance?"

In both the case of government bail-out or parental protections, I consider
them more like insurance providers.  And I admit that you can apply the same
thing to parents...but it seems different.  I didn't get to pick my parents,
but I just had to wait.  Now they're not forced insurance the way the
government is.  And it's certainly not their only role, whereas I think it
basically is for the government, in various forms.

Chris