 Off-Topic / Debate / 5757
Re: Why is AIDS such a big deal?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 25 May 2000 23:14:51 GMT

[snip]
There was risk involved, the accident was not my fault, but I should
assume the responsibility for the damages?

You bear ultimate responsibility for your situation.  In every way.  To claim
less is to give up something so valuable that I can't even approach why you
might want to.

You lost me there - "To claim less is to give up something so valuable that I
can't even approach why you might want to."  I have no idea what the comment
means.

Not a court in the land would agree.

Is this what we're discussing?  Is it legal liability or responsibility in • some
kind of more real sense?

Just stating my case that a person is not always responsible for the risks
that they take by showing a legal example.

Yes there is no fault insurance, however, in my example above, my rates would
instantly be raised by my insurance company through no fault of my own.

Through no fault of your own?  What if you hadn't been out driving?  What if
you'd been driving in places where the roadway association assured more • careful
drivers?  What if you didn't make a claim against your insurance?

And your point is?  That because I drove, the accident is my fault because I
was in the wrong place and the wrong time?

[snip]

Thinking of your example above, what about the consequences if you'd been
uninsured?  Shouldn't you bear the responsibility for that decision?

If I had been uninsured, that would have been a risk against the laws of the
state of NY, which would be pretty stupid in the first place.

Now, the government as an absorber or moderator of risk is basically
insurance.  Right?  Insurance is a good thing.

Why must we all be forced into a particular insurance system, or to have
insurance at all?

Was this not worth comment?

All of life is a risk.  The government is certainly not the only "absorber or
moderator of risk."  Would you consider your parents "insurance?"