 Off-Topic / Debate / 5626
Re: Global Warming (was: Re: Why is AIDS such a big deal?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 10 May 2000 20:37:27 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Shiri Dori writes:

I give on the icecaps, ok? If they all melt at once, we're all going wading.
You still have to show that they're all going to melt, though. Won't take much,
a few degrees higher average temp should do the trick, but the trends we see
are measured in hundreths of a degree.

This is well known. Don't know about you guys, but I used to live on a
mountain which was 700 meters (not feet) high. There were fossils of sea-
creatures all over the place, not only loose ones but some that were on huge
slabs of stone. What our environmental studies teachers (it was a mandatory
subject in my elementary school, all through 6th grade) taught about this was
that whole area used to be covered with sea-water. I don't know if it was due
to the fact that there were no icecaps; but that sounds reasonable.

And what that teaches me is that your teachers don't know squat about mountain
formation. The elevation of the area at the time that the seabed is laying down
fossils has little or nothing to do with the elevation of that same area now.
Mountains can be thrust up thousands of meters during the formation process.

If that's the best you can do, pack it in. Well, that's not fair. Your SCHOOL
should pack it in, it's using teachers that are clueless.

++Lar