 Off-Topic / Debate / 5639
Re: Global Warming (was: Re: Why is AIDS such a big deal?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 10 May 2000 21:26:47 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Shiri Dori writes:

I give on the icecaps, ok? If they all melt at once, we're all going wading.
You still have to show that they're all going to melt, though. Won't take
much,
a few degrees higher average temp should do the trick, but the trends we see
are measured in hundreths of a degree.

IIRC, the 'trends' have been measured as 1 degree celsius (1.8 F) over the
past [hundred I think] years.
(Dang, wish I had some sources; but I never kept my notes...)
The years might be way off, but it's definitely not more than 100; if
anything, then less.

The elevation of the area at the time that the seabed is laying down
fossils has little or nothing to do with the elevation of that same area now.
Mountains can be thrust up thousands of meters during the formation process.

'Course they can. Sorry, I was forgot about that and I was wrong. I think Dave
mentioned that the lesson might've been different... maybe he's right. These
weren't lessons anyhow, but it was told me during a field trip, so maybe the
teacher didn't say the whole story. Or maybe I forgot. 'Twas a long time ago.

-Shiri