 Off-Topic / Debate / 5483
Re: Canadian Tax!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2000 18:50:00 GMT

Richard, you need to be sure you're comparing apples with apples. If you
scroll down in that Fraser Institute tax calc page you'll find this:

The Personal Tax Freedom Day calculator, like Tax Freedom Day, includes all taxes from >all levels of government that Canadians pay. This includes: income & sales taxes; >liquor, tobacco, amusement & other excise taxes; automobile, fuel, & motor vehicle >licence taxes; CPP/QPP and EI contributions, medial & hospital taxes; property taxes; >import duties; profit taxes; and natural resource levies.

So you are not just looking at income tax here, and to truly compare
with the UK you'll need to add in the UK equivalents of all the above
taxes. That means all the GST you pay in a year, road tax, rates,
pension contributions (that's CPP) and unemployemnt insurance (EI),
national health contributions, etc etc. Betcha the UK actually looks
worse when you add all that lot in!

When I did the tax freedom day on my own situation, for example, the tax
amount for the year it comes up with is about 8 times what I actually
pay in income tax.

And again, the cost of living is less here (depending on where you live,
of course: property and therefore rents in Toronto are expensive,
comparable to say London rather than Manchester). Food is cheaper here,
as is running a car and many otehr things. Oh yes, and Lego's cheaper
<g>.

Kevin
--
Personal Lego Web page: