 Off-Topic / Debate / 5475
  Canadian Tax!

I'm looking at working in Toronto, Ontario for a year - but according to: https://secure.lexi....r/etfd.htm Even if I got a modest computer-contract, I'd be paying close to 50% tax! Please tell me that this isn't true! I mean, I regard myself as (...) (24 years ago, 3-May-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Canadian Tax!

(...) I didn't do much more than poke at the Fraser calculator, but it's cool. Thanks for the link. 50% seems awfully high. I supose it depends partly on what you consider "modest", and whether or not you've mouths to feed. Modest varies a lot (...) (24 years ago, 3-May-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Canadian Tax!

(...) True, as a recent mobile graduate entering the computer software industry with long hair, and from looking at some of the 500 daily jobs in news://tor.jobs $50k CAD seems like a modest figure.. and it isn't too far off comparative wages in the (...) (24 years ago, 3-May-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Canadian Tax!

(...) The Fraser Institute is your classic right wing think-tank, so bear that in mind when using their site <g>. Are they including GST, prov sales tax, etc in that calc or just income tax? Sales tax here, depending where you are, is always less (...) (24 years ago, 3-May-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Canadian Tax!

Richard, you need to be sure you're comparing apples with apples. If you scroll down in that Fraser Institute tax calc page you'll find this: (...) So you are not just looking at income tax here, and to truly compare with the UK you'll need to add (...) (24 years ago, 3-May-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Canadian Tax!

(...) D'oh! Thanks for clearing that up for me - I'm a bit inept at this whole finance stuff - it consists of the tautology: "I like coding, people foolishly pay me to code, then I buy LEGO" :) You're probably right about the UK being worse overall (...) (24 years ago, 3-May-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Canadian Tax!

Kevin Wilson wrote: [snip] (...) Are you allowed to say that in this group? This is an off-topic group, where Lego is on-topic! :-) /Eric McC/ (24 years ago, 6-May-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)