 Off-Topic / Debate / 4963
Re: Trying to understand
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 16 Mar 2000 15:58:30 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Duane Hess writes:

Trigger locks increase the time it takes (me, anyway) to get my gun
ready to use, when I am operating in total darkness and in silent mode,
by a large enough amount that they seriously decrease my personal
safety. Where would you like me to keep the key to a trigger lock so
that I can find it in the dark without making any noise but so that it's
safe from my kids finding it? My kids are clever but not persistent
enough to guess a 4 digit combination lock.

That is a good point. However, I still feel that the trigger locks
should be in place when a gun is sold. Whether or not they remain
there after the gun is sold, I have no control of.

My issue there is the slippery slope. Just as with seatbelts. Note well that I
support seat belt usage and I've even come to terms with mandatory seat belt
usage. But once locks are required to be shipped, it's not much of a stretch to
"required to be used at all times"

Having the lock in place to me, reinforces the
notion to the buyer that the gun is not a toy and that special precautions
need to be taken with it to avoid accidents.

Trigger locks are a direct attack on the notion of using a gun in self
defense.

Could you expand on this statement for me.

See above. If their use becomes mandatory, it interferes with the ability to
use a gun in home defense for reasons I outlined.

++Lar