 Off-Topic / Debate / 4965
Re: Trying to understand
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 16 Mar 2000 16:20:36 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Duane Hess writes:

Trigger locks increase the time it takes (me, anyway) to get my gun
ready to use, when I am operating in total darkness and in silent mode,
by a large enough amount that they seriously decrease my personal
safety. Where would you like me to keep the key to a trigger lock so
that I can find it in the dark without making any noise but so that it's
safe from my kids finding it? My kids are clever but not persistent
enough to guess a 4 digit combination lock.

That is a good point. However, I still feel that the trigger locks
should be in place when a gun is sold. Whether or not they remain
there after the gun is sold, I have no control of.

My issue there is the slippery slope. Just as with seatbelts. Note well that I
support seat belt usage and I've even come to terms with mandatory seat belt
usage. But once locks are required to be shipped, it's not much of a stretch • to
"required to be used at all times"

Having the lock in place to me, reinforces the
notion to the buyer that the gun is not a toy and that special precautions
need to be taken with it to avoid accidents.

Trigger locks are a direct attack on the notion of using a gun in self
defense.

Could you expand on this statement for me.

See above. If their use becomes mandatory, it interferes with the ability to
use a gun in home defense for reasons I outlined.

++Lar

I have this silly picture in my mind of a western showdown at high noon, where
the two participants square off.  Crowds gather.  Sweat drips down their faces.
Steely eyes glare unblinkingly.  Fingers twitch, waiting for the other guy to
make the first move (why you would want to wait on the other guy is beyond me,
but let's go with the flow).  Suddenly hands flash, slap leather, cut down
barrels glint, then one guy starts speed-dialing his combination lock while the
other rifles through his key ring.    The crowd yawns and slowly disperses...
:-)

Bruce