 Off-Topic / Debate / 4977
Re: Trying to understand
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 16 Mar 2000 18:23:26 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Duane Hess writes:

Trigger locks increase the time it takes (me, anyway) to get my gun
ready to use, when I am operating in total darkness and in silent mode,
by a large enough amount that they seriously decrease my personal
safety. Where would you like me to keep the key to a trigger lock so
that I can find it in the dark without making any noise but so that it's
safe from my kids finding it? My kids are clever but not persistent
enough to guess a 4 digit combination lock.

That is a good point. However, I still feel that the trigger locks
should be in place when a gun is sold. Whether or not they remain
there after the gun is sold, I have no control of.

My issue there is the slippery slope. Just as with seatbelts. Note well that I
support seat belt usage and I've even come to terms with mandatory seat belt
usage. But once locks are required to be shipped, it's not much of a stretch
to "required to be used at all times"

Ahh! Now I see what you're saying. That is a valid fear.

I don't see that particular scenerio coming about though. It's too hard to
enforce a law like that as a primary infraction. In order to enforce it,
enforcement agencies would have to make periodic inspections to see if you are
complying with the law, which would turn into an unreasonable search (and
possibly seizure) in my mind. That is something that I'm against.

Seat belts are a little different because they are something that can be seen
from outside of a vehicle. An officer can come up along side the car and tell
whether or not you are wearing it without actually searching the car. A gun can
be concealed in a car or home. To determine if the gun has a lock on it would
require that it either be within plain sight, or as the result of a search.

If I recall correctly, (in Colorado) not wearing your seatbelt is a secondary
offense for which you cannot be pulled over, but if you are pulled over for
some other offense and are not wearing it you could then be ticketed for it.
Could the trigger lock scenerio not be structured the same way? Not punishable
as a primary infraction?

Having the lock in place to me, reinforces the
notion to the buyer that the gun is not a toy and that special precautions
need to be taken with it to avoid accidents.

Trigger locks are a direct attack on the notion of using a gun in self
defense.

Could you expand on this statement for me.

See above. If their use becomes mandatory, it interferes with the ability to
use a gun in home defense for reasons I outlined.

I wonder if trigger locks would be applied to police departments and the
military too? :-) Now THAT would be interesting.

++Lar

-Duane