 Off-Topic / Debate / 4960
Re: Trying to understand
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 16 Mar 2000 14:55:17 GMT

Karim wrote:

I understand the more popular arguments against trigger locks,
(in that, if one can steal a gun, one can steal the gun's key),

Actually, this is one that I can't understand at all.... I can't figure out • how
ANYONE could object to mandatory trigger locks... How in the world would
something like that impinge on your rights?  Now, granted, it most likely • would
not do a thing to combat a lot of the high-publicity shootings that have
recently occurred (but then, no law would... those people were criminals... • by
definition, not being controlled by laws).  However, it would probably help
reduce the number of annual accidental deaths-by-gunshot that occur when • little
johnny finds his father's gun in the closet, which, believe it or not, is a
pretty high number.

My gun is kept locked in a box with a combination lock I can silently
work by feel. It's not loaded, but the bullets are in a speed loader in
the box.

Thank you Larry. I'm glad that I know of at least one individual who has a
relatively safe storage method. I understand the need for speed and the need
for safety as well. It sounds like you have found an acceptable comprimise to
both.

Trigger locks increase the time it takes (me, anyway) to get my gun
ready to use, when I am operating in total darkness and in silent mode,
by a large enough amount that they seriously decrease my personal
safety. Where would you like me to keep the key to a trigger lock so
that I can find it in the dark without making any noise but so that it's
safe from my kids finding it? My kids are clever but not persistent
enough to guess a 4 digit combination lock.

That is a good point. However, I still feel that the trigger locks should be in
place when a gun is sold. Whether or not they remain there after the gun is
sold, I have no control of. Having the lock in place to me, reinforces the
notion to the buyer that the gun is not a toy and that special precautions
need to be taken with it to avoid accidents.

Trigger locks are a direct attack on the notion of using a gun in self
defense.

Could you expand on this statement for me. I *think* I know what you are
getting at, but want to make sure before I open my mouth and say something
stupid.

And they lull people into a false sense of security.

Oh, and little Nik doesn't have to "find" my gun, he knows right where
it is. He also knows it's locked away and not a toy.

That boils down to education. Education is a good thing and I'm all for that.

Honestly, This is perhaps the ONLY reasonable and practical gun saftey
regulation ever to be proposed by congress.  I still don't understand on
what grounds anyone opposes it.

Hopefully, now you do.

--
Larry Pieniazek - lpieniazek@mercator.com - http://my.voyager.net/lar