 Off-Topic / Debate / 4919
Re: Trying to understand
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 22:00:29 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Stanley writes:
Think about the people involved in writing the first batch of
ammendments and what they had lived through.

  Very true.  In addition, the 2nd Amendment was written when the latest in
firearms technology took quite a while to reload.  Even today, I understand
the concerns of some citizens who feel they must have their guns to protect
themselves (against the goverment, if no one else), and I’m cool with that.  I
just don’t know if the same historical relevance that justified lead musket
balls then justifies auto-fire black talon cop killer rounds as readily now.

***WHAT FOLLOWS ISN'T TROLLING--I'M STILL JUST TRYING TO UNDERSTAND***

  Along the same lines, where does one set a limit, if anywhere?  Should every
law abiding citizen be permitted to own a nuclear warhead?  Does this qualify
as "arms?"  How about a tank or battleship?  I ask because in an age where, if
it really wants to, the government can fold, spindle, and mutilate its
insurrectionists at a level undreamed of in Constitution-times, against which
even rapid-fire rifles might be inadequate defense.  If owning such weapons
can no longer be justified in terms of defending oneself from the government,
how does one apply the 2nd amendment?
  One other thing--what exactly does the NRA do, except get a lot of flak from
those who wish to see it disbanded?

   Asking in all good faith,

     Dave!