 Off-Topic / Debate / 4917
Re: Trying to understand
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 21:54:17 GMT

On Wed, 15 Mar 2000 16:51:11 GMT, "Bruce Schlickbernd"
<corsair@schlickbernd.org> wrote:

Amendment II

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the
right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Rereading this, I'm not quite sure where I agree with your stated purpose of
the 2nd amendment.  I'm sure that it has that effect, but its purpose was not
to act as a safeguard against an out-of-control government.  It speaks more of
a lack of a standing army and being a frontier country (at the time) than
anything.

It may say that to you now, looking back on things from a modern high
school American history perspective, but it didn't mean just that when
it was written.

Think about the people involved in writing the first batch of
ammendments and what they had lived through.

--
Tired of waiting for LEGO Direct? Bulk Parts Sales NOW!
http://www.guarded-inn.com/lego/sales/parts.html