 Off-Topic / Debate / 4894
Re: Trying to understand
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 18:27:57 GMT

Duane,

Duane Hess wrote:

http://www.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=4882

Yup, I read it after I typed this one.

Secondly, why isn't little Johnny not taught about the gun? Go out
to the range with him, show what it can do, let him fire it, teach him
about it. Then little Johnny knows better.

It's not little Johnny that I worry about, it's little Johnny's friends.

Well, here is a gut wrencher for all of you non violent types: teach
this in school. (The sound of alarms going off, leftists kicking in
their screens, mass rioting and hysteria result!) I have told this in
the last round of gun debates here in off topic, but here goes again
because we have some new people here:

When I was in the 6th grade, we had a 6th grade camp, for a week, to do
a lot of things. One of the most interesting things was a weapons
demonstration from the Michigan State Police, who showed us varying
weapons, from the little 22's to a fully automatic M-16. They showed us
the results of firing these weapons on watermelons, jugs, and the like.
Finally, they demonstrated a bulletproof vest. What a lesson. Maybe we
need to reevaluate education about guns rather than getting all out
hysteria on single issues.

I could see my commute getting uglier yet.  :-)

Well, the current situation is no better.

I partially agree with this statement.

Oh my, somebody agreeing with me...... (Hits floor!)

Criminals are just that, criminals. Nothing will stop them from getting the
illegal items that they want. I do believe that there are people that should
not be allowed to have weapons. Those who have committed felonies (although
what passes as a felony anymore may invalidate my point here), violent crimes,
etc. especially repeat offenders. That's not to say that they can't obtain a
weapon through darker channels, it just adds another punishable offense when
they do get caught.

Exactly. Non-law abiding citizens such as felons and repeat offenders
should not.

Scott S.
Scott E. Sanburn-> ssanburn@cleanweb.net
Systems Administrator-Affiliated Engineers -> http://www.aeieng.com