 Off-Topic / Debate / 4888
Re: Trying to understand
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 17:02:28 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Edward Sanburn writes:
Karim,

Actually, this is one that I can't understand at all.... I can't figure out • how
ANYONE could object to mandatory trigger locks... How in the world would
something like that impinge on your rights?  Now, granted, it most likely • would
not do a thing to combat a lot of the high-publicity shootings that have
recently occurred (but then, no law would... those people were criminals... • by
definition, not being controlled by laws).  However, it would probably help
reduce the number of annual accidental deaths-by-gunshot that occur when • little
johnny finds his father's gun in the closet, which, believe it or not, is a
pretty high number.

Well, one could argue that when you are in a situation where you would
need your gun (A.k.a. late night break in) trying to find the key to a
trigger lock could result in your death, or your property being stolen,
etc.

http://www.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=4882

Secondly, why isn't little Johnny not taught about the gun? Go out
to the range with him, show what it can do, let him fire it, teach him
about it. Then little Johnny knows better.

It's not little Johnny that I worry about, it's little Johnny's friends.

Thirdly, I like the situation
where the people that do own guns should be allowed to take them with
you, to work, etc. That way they aren't laying around. Ugh, this debate
is so common sense, yet not a lot of people get it.

I could see my commute getting uglier yet.  :-)

Scott S.

So what is the argument here?  It will add too much to the cost of the gun?
Please! Can anyone honestly tell me that they are going to balk at buying a
$400 handgun because it has to be sold with a $6 trigger lock?  This reminds • me
of the fight against mandatory seat belts in cars... ("But, if we make
seatbelts standard, people will think our cars are unsafe!").

Honestly, This is perhaps the ONLY reasonable and practical gun saftey
regulation ever to be proposed by congress.

No regulation for guns make sense, because it affects law abiding
citizens, not criminals, not the black market, not people stealing guns,
etc.

I partially agree with this statement.

Criminals are just that, criminals. Nothing will stop them from getting the
illegal items that they want. I do believe that there are people that should
not be allowed to have weapons. Those who have committed felonies (although
what passes as a felony anymore may invalidate my point here), violent crimes,
etc. especially repeat offenders. That's not to say that they can't obtain a
weapon through darker channels, it just adds another punishable offense when
they do get caught.

I wish they would just come out and say, they want to ban all guns.
At least then they would be truthful.

Scott S.

-Duane