 Off-Topic / Debate / 4798
Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 11 Mar 2000 23:53:30 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bill Farkas writes:
Bill, you're falling into the trap of quoting from scripture as if it
were authoritative again. It is to you, we grant that, but it's not
authoritative to me.

It's not a "trap" for me. You're the one who seems to have a problem with
it. The fact that someone doesn't *want* to believe it doesn't diminish
it's authority. The bible IS my standard, your mind is yours. No offense
but the bible has been around a lot longer. [...]

Thank God we have the Bible so that don't have to use our minds.

--Todd

Thanks Todd, that one gave me a huge chuckle. :~)

I wasn't saying that we shouldn't think. What I meant was that our own minds
are incapable of true objectivity. We all translate experiences according to a
sum total of all our previous experiences. The human psyche has the tendency to
recoil and react defensively to negative stimuli. If our belief system is
framed by reacting against someone else's, are we likely to arrive at THE
truth? There is after all only one actual truth about God and how we got here.
Can that be discovered by constantly reacting in opposition to a philosophy
whose practitioners have ofended you. Not to be overly redundant, but many of
us feel and believe a certain way reactively and not proactively. That's my
point. We are all subjective.

Bill