 Off-Topic / Debate / 4799
Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 12 Mar 2000 00:20:04 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bill Farkas writes:
I wasn't saying that we shouldn't think. What I meant was that our own minds
are incapable of true objectivity. We all translate experiences according to a
sum total of all our previous experiences. The human psyche has the tendency • to
recoil and react defensively to negative stimuli. If our belief system is
framed by reacting against someone else's, are we likely to arrive at THE
truth? There is after all only one actual truth about God and how we got here.
Can that be discovered by constantly reacting in opposition to a philosophy
whose practitioners have ofended you. Not to be overly redundant, but many of
us feel and believe a certain way reactively and not proactively. That's my
point. We are all subjective.

If that's the case (and I'm not debating that point...I happen to agree) then
the Bible is even less of an objective source than our own minds... After all,
the content of the Bible is purportedly eyewitness testimony, right?

So it was subjectively interpreted once when they saw an event, again when they
wrote it down, yet once more when someone reads it, and a final time when they
apply it to their lives.  That is not counting any translation, which for most
people adds another few layers between them and the book (unless you read
ancient greek as your first language).

Now before you answer that the Bible is Divinly inspired, keep in mind that
that is your subjective point of view (regardless of how many others happen to
share it) and that it holds no weight whatsoever and has no bearing on mine. If
you want me to accept & agree with your point of view on this matter, you have
to provide me with Hard (non-subjective) evidence... which based on your above
definition, means that it must be either 1) something external to any given
person, or 2) something internal to ME, because *mine* is the only subjective
perception that I can naturally accept as objective.

***This is Why*** trying to quote Christian scripture when arguing with someone
who is not is ALWAYS pointless. Or to put it more generally, the same thing
that Jeremy was trying to tell you about starting from a common frame of
reference.

BTW, it is for this reason that eyewitness testimony in trials is FAR less
desireable than hard evidence... If you gather ten people together, all of whom
witness the same event, Guaranteed, each one of them will tell you a different
story... because their perceptions are colored by what is important to each of
them.

--Karim