 Off-Topic / Debate / 4652
Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 02:00:48 GMT

Peter Callaway wrote:

Well you stated that Lucifer (aka the Devil) has no power other than to lie.
Let's assume for the argument's sake that there is
**a** devil (to stop me getting

(emphasis mine, Peter said "a" without the stars)

in trouble from the people who don't believe there is). The lie is in fact his
most powerful weapon. He spreads the lie around that there is no such thing as
God, and does so in such a way that does not reveal his own existence (he is
cunning, you've got to give him that).

The destruction brought about by this lie is when people act upon it. The
action could be to actively seek to disprove the existence of God, or as
simple as to do absolutely nothing, with the existence or non-existence of God
having no effect whatsoever on your life. Whichever it is, in the context of
the Bible it's destructive.

I'm just throwing a hypothetical up for general debate. If the Devil exists,
and spreads the lie that God doesn't exist, does this prove the non-existence
of God, or prove that He is who He is because the Devil (through spreading his
lies) is out to actively disprove His existence?

I LOVE hypotheticals.

If we posit the existence of *A* devil, is his saying that god doesn't
exist necessarily a lie?

No. Something that might fit the generic definition of devil might
actually be the supreme being of this posited universe, hypotheticallt
speaking.

Only if we posit the existence of the specific christian devil, which
carries with it the manner of his creation (implying the existence of
the christian god, by definition), is the statement a lie.

So, sure. Let's posit the christian devil (with a side order of
implications). Now show that there is harm caused by denying god's
existence! Why? If your god is so great and so just, the righteous will
still be OK and who cares about the rest of them, they deserve what they
get. :-) In other words, has christianity actually benefitted mankind?
How? Prove it.

Here's another interesting thought. Out of all the religions in the world,
Christianity is one of the very very few (it may even be the only one) which
non-Christians actively try to disprove.

Don't flatter yourself, all religions have their detractors, in
proportion to their popularity and to their perfidiousness.

Why is this so? If non-Christians
think it is such a waste of time why waste so much time trying to disprove it?

Because christianity is one of the most obnoxious religions in many
different ways, and shutting it down might result in a little less
strife and more freedom for everyone?

Just a thought.

--
Larry Pieniazek - lpieniazek@mercator.com - http://my.voyager.net/lar