 Off-Topic / Debate / 4482
Re: Mormon bashing again
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 4 Mar 2000 03:24:57 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
Bill Farkas wrote:
In the New Testament, all of the commandments are repeated, not as • commandments
but as exhortations to fufill the law of love, (because we are saved by • grace
not by our deeds) all are repeated except the keeping of the sabbath. The • book
of Hebrews typifies that day of rest to be symbolic of our rest in eternal
salvation. Read Galatians regarding the Law.

According to KJV Galatians Ch. 3, in particular verses 18 and 21, the promise
given to Abraham for fulfilling those laws is still valid, even after some
were made redundant by Christ's ministry.

That's not at all what those verses say.

Gal 3:18 is as follows: For if the inheritance be of the law, it is no more of
promise; but God gave it to Abraham BY PROMISE.

Abraham had nothing to do with the Law, he lived almost five hundred years
before it was given. The verse is saying that the inheritance is by promise and
NOT by the Law.

Gal 3:21: Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid, for IF there
had been a law given which COULD HAVE given life, verily righteousness SHOULD
have been by the Law.

This is clearly saying that life is not thru the law but the promise, in fact
Romans says death comes by the law. See also 2 Corinthians 3:6

Gal 3:25 says: But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a school
master. Verse 24 says the law is a school master.

Chapter 5 verse 4 says that if you seek to be justified by the law you have
fallen from grace.

3:11 says: But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is
evident: for, the just shall live by faith.

The law was given to show sin and the need of an innocent substitute.

Granted, the speaker gives a fair amount of rebuke to those who would follow
the laws to the exclusion of Christ's teachings.  But the speaker doesn't
mention any revocation of the Sabbath.

Various references to the revocation of the Law:
Ephesians 2:15 - "abolished"
Colossians 2:14 - "blotted out" "taken out of the way"
Hebrews 7:18 - "disannulled"
Hebrews 8:7,8  - faulty
Hebrews 8:13 - "old, decaying, vanishing"
Hebrews 10:9 - taken away
Romans 8:3 - incapable

As for the book of Hebrews, it draws a parallel between salvation and physical
rest, but it doesn't carry the similitude any further than that.

It isn't speaking of physical rest but eternal: Heb 4:9 There remaineth
therefore a rest for the people of God. Verse ten connects the earthly with
the eternal.

A side note:  according to this same book, we are indeed judged by our deeds.
Gal. 5:13 indicates that our new freedom is to be used for service towards
each other.  Again in Ch. 6 we are invited to bear each others' burdens, in
order to fulfil the law of Christ.  If we don't share in the effort, we don't
share in the rewards.

Works do not earn salvation, according to James they prove the quality of your
faith. Salvation and rewards are two different things. We obey to show what we
already are, not to earn favor. The judgement seat for christians is a greek
word that signifies a place of giving rewards not of judging worthiness. That
verse that says to work out YOUR OWN salvation means to show outwardly that
which you already have. Philippians 2:12

Still, the point is that all the other commandments are reiterated in new
fashion as manifestations of love, except keeping the sabbath. The mosaic law
was annulled by the new covenant and replaced by "love God and love your
neighbor" to prove that you HAVE BEEN born of God, not to earn it or keep it.

Bill

Cheers,
- jsproat

Card-carrying member of the Star-Bellied Sneech Preservation Society