 Off-Topic / Debate / 4480
Re: Mormon bashing again
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 4 Mar 2000 01:46:13 GMT

Bill Farkas wrote:
In the New Testament, all of the commandments are repeated, not as commandments
but as exhortations to fufill the law of love, (because we are saved by grace
not by our deeds) all are repeated except the keeping of the sabbath. The book
of Hebrews typifies that day of rest to be symbolic of our rest in eternal
salvation. Read Galatians regarding the Law.

According to KJV Galatians Ch. 3, in particular verses 18 and 21, the promise
given to Abraham for fulfilling those laws is still valid, even after some
were made redundant by Christ's ministry.

Granted, the speaker gives a fair amount of rebuke to those who would follow
the laws to the exclusion of Christ's teachings.  But the speaker doesn't
mention any revocation of the Sabbath.

As for the book of Hebrews, it draws a parallel between salvation and physical
rest, but it doesn't carry the similitude any further than that.

A side note:  according to this same book, we are indeed judged by our deeds.
Gal. 5:13 indicates that our new freedom is to be used for service towards
each other.  Again in Ch. 6 we are invited to bear each others' burdens, in
order to fulfil the law of Christ.  If we don't share in the effort, we don't
share in the rewards.

Cheers,
- jsproat

Card-carrying member of the Star-Bellied Sneech Preservation Society