 Off-Topic / Debate / 4462
Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 22:44:03 GMT

Markus Wolf wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
Wasn't Lillith mentioned in some other religious text, perhaps Babylonian or
Phoenecian?  Evidently, Adam's first wife was Lillith, who left due to
interpersonal incompatabilities.
YOu know, I don't like the idea of future generations getting their theology
from role playing games.

...?  Which role playing games?  I'm sure the game company lawyers would
*love* to argue that they had the idea first, but Lilith is a valid character
from several ancient religious texts.

I found the reference:  Lilith is mentioned early on in Babylonian-Assyrian
legend as a demon or banshee of some sort.  The even older tale of Gilgamesh,
from Ur, mentions a similar spirit by the name of Lillake.  Lilith is also
mentioned in Hebrew and Arabic folklore, as an extremely hairy posessor of
men's bodies and crib killer of infant boys.

According to some Hebrew myths, Lilith was created from dust as Adam was.
This helped lead to her downfall as she felt she was equal to if not better
than Adam; Adam tried to restrain her with force, and she eventually left him
in a fit of blasphemy.  Adam discovered loss, God created Eve using Adam's
rib, yadda yadda yadda the rest of Genesis.

According legend, anyway...

Cheers,
- jsproat

Card-carrying member of the Star-Bellied Sneech Preservation Society