 Off-Topic / Debate / 4393
Re: Mormon bashing again
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 14:46:58 GMT

Ben Roller wrote:
Here in the South alcohol can't be purchased on Sundays in a lot of places.  I
can't think of any reason other than religious(2).  As far as I know there
aren't any places that HAVE to close the stores on Sunday but a some stores do
close down, at least in the mornings.

One that always does get me a bit of a laugh is that Massachusetts had
the "blue laws" longer than the south. They didn't START to be
dismantled totally until the 70s (in the late to mid 70s they broke down
and allowed stores to open on Sunday from Thanksgiving to Christmas, and
then only after 1:00 PM or some such).

Interestingly, until 1833 (or 1835, don't recall my dates completely),
the parish church in each town collected the town taxes, and was also I
believe effectively the town hall. Of course this is some ammunition for
the religious basis of our government, however it also provides a clear
indication of where the people of the time were moving, from 1790 to
1830 or so (again not totally clear of dates), 1/4 to 1/3 of the
parishes in Massachusetts became Unitarian, and are now part of the
Unitarian Universalist Association (technically not a denomination due
to its organizational structure).

As far as how hardline the "pilgrims" were, it is interesting to note
that the first two congregations in Massachusetts (Plymouth and
Watertown, the congregations of the Mayflower Pilgrims and the original
Mass Bay Colony settlement respectively) became Unitarian, as did
several other major churches. The first church in the US to declare
itself Unitarian interestingly is a proud member of the Unitarian
Universalist Association, but also staunchly a Christian church (though
it rejects the divinity of Jesus and the Trinity).

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com