 Off-Topic / Debate / 4363
Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 05:11:43 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Shiri Dori writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Peter Callaway writes:
Whether or not other deities exist is an entirely different
argument.

Yes, but what about whether or not this 'deity', aka God, exists?

That's a great question!  But more than that, what I wanna know is whether
God (THE God):

(a) admits that other deities exist and disallows their worship, or
(b) disavows the existance of other deities, or
(c) whether His answer to that would be "splunge."

--Todd

The question of whether God exists or not for me is clear cut. He does. This
whole Creationist v Evolutionist argument has pointed towards a Great Creator
of the Universe, and that is God. Man certainly had nothing to do with the
original creation, back then he was either walking around on his knuckles, or
not even in the picture. I have other reasons for believing in the existence
of God and my status as a Christian, but that is one of them.

The question about other deities is interesting one, and I'm not entirely
qualified to answer it, but I'll try. God has never denied the possibility of
other deities existing in the spiritual sense. I hope I explained adequately
in my previous post my (and the Christian) interpretation of the First
Commandment.

The existence of other deities I believe is irrelevant. God is the creator of
the Universe, so why waste time pandering to lesser gods. And if there is a
higher god above God, then why hasn't he shown up to ursurp God?

All of the Commandments are conditions for being a part of God's family. We
don't have to follow them, but then we won't be a part of God's family (I'm
being extremely simplistic here). It is our choice, and many people choose not
to. It angers me when these same people, after ignoring these "rules", then
have the audacity to blame God when things go wrong. Sorry, getting off track.

Pete Callaway