 Off-Topic / Debate / 4351
Re: Mormon bashing again
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 01:34:14 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
I haven't read the slashdot thread at all, or your post closely, so I may be
speaking out of turn. But, seems to me that BYU can do whatever they want about
approving or disapproving housing, as long as they don't have the force of law
behind them. (and as long as they don't get state/fed funding... do they??? If
so, then <sigh>... never mind)

Well, BYU is a private school.  But like any big school they get all kinds of
financial kickbacks from the state and the city of Provo, as well as outright
funding.

So while they don't have the force of law behind them, they do have the force
of contract on their side, which ultimately results in a stranglehold on
single-residence and small-family housing policies for a valley populated by
something like 1/4 million college students and their dependents.

Lemme explain:

For a single-residence housing structure to be BYU approved, it must follow a
strict set of rules:  no smoking, no alcohol, no drugs, no weapons (which I
enforce myself anyway), every apartment in the the entire building must follow
the same BYU-approval guidelines, no "obscene" material (and that term is used
*very* loosely), no mixed-gender buildings, no members of the opposite sex in
the bedrooms, permission for arbitrary and spontaneous search-and-siezure by
BYU and / or the Provo police, and on and on and on.

For a family-residence housing structure to be BYU approved, follow the above
rules except that buildings and bedrooms can be mixed-gender (for hopefully
obvious reasons).  But a BYU-approved family residence must be inhabited by a
legally married family.

If you attend BYU and don't live in BYU-approved housing, you face a variety
of administrative punishments, including suspension and / or expulsion.

At first I thought that BYU approval only applied for rentals, but it appears
to also apply even if you own your home.  Go back and read that list of rules,
and imagine them applied to how you can act in your own home.

So...to my fevered and legally ignorant brain, that consitutes a
state-sanctioned morality clause on housing policies in Utah Valley.  I can
either rent to non-BYU students (a small but growing demographic), or I can
waive some important rights and become BYU-approved and get a guaranteed rent
every month.  If I were in it strictly for the money, I'd go for it; but alas,
I have my scruples.

Bravo to you for choosing to market your rental properties (which indeed are a
*great* retirement scheme, we have one so far and want more) to those that
choose not to go to BYU, and Bravo to BYU for asking that people that choose to
go to BYU voluntarily adhere to a code of BYU's choosing.

Far be it from me to pick a nit with Larry (:-), but I disagree on the "bravo
to BYU" part.  Sure, they're probably (1) in their rights to do so, though
they certainly aren't being *moral* to do so.  Which, IMO, is not a good
stance for a school owned by my Church, or any church for that matter.

Oh, and I never mentioned BYU's Honor Committee.  Oy vey, the Honor Committe.
On-campus dress code Nazis, basically.  If you enter campus with a beard, or
wearing a tank-top or shorts above the knee, or (until recently) without
socks, they'd harass you.  Even if you aren't a BYU student.  Fortunately,
they've been less and less of an irritation to me lately (I had long hair last
time I entered BYU campus); I believe they're quietly phasing out this policy.

None of that has anything to do with religious fanaticism which shows that
slashdot can get it wrong.

Yah, but it's not religious fanatacism they're slamming, it's religious
stigma.  Any different religion will do.  It's little minds throwing rocks at
unusual folks they refuse to try to understand.  Definitely, it was one of
Slashdot's less-impressive feats of discussion.

Card-carrying member of the Star-Bellied Sneech Preservation Society
Can you do LDS and SBSPS at the same time? :-)

I dunno, ask Tore.  It's his program.  ;-)

Cheers,
- jsproat

1.  Not in Libertopia, but rather in Sproaticusia...

Card-carrying member of the Star-Bellied Sneech Preservation Society