 Off-Topic / Debate / 4352
4351  |  4353
Subject:
L. Ron Hubbard urban legend (was: Mormon bashing again)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 01:33:31 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Brown writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
I heard a conspiracy theory once that Scientology is the result of a bet
between Hubbard and Heinlein on who could build a bogus religion faster.
Heinlein lost because the editors chopped too much from _Stranger in a
Strange Land_.

I've heard that as well... I suspect it's an urban legend (or whatever the SF
equivalent is?), but only they know for sure, and I don't think they're
telling.

I have to agree with James Brown's guess.  I've heard the same story, except
that the two writers were L. Ron Hubbard and Frank Herbert.  Herbert, of
course, wrote _Dune_, the SF classic with generous helpings of Islam.  When you
have multiple versions of a story, that agree in some respects but not others,
I immediately think "urban legend."

--
John J. Ladasky Jr., Ph.D.
Department of Structural Biology