 Off-Topic / Debate / 4330
Re: Mormon bashing again
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 00:30:39 GMT

Mr L F Braun wrote:
James Brown wrote:
Zealot. :)

:-,

I have
beefs with some individuals, but I make a distinction between a church and
it's members.  Something I think more people could use... I skimmed that
thread on /. and noticed a whole lot of broad strokes.

Yes, it was this more than anything else that got my goat.

The only thing I would say that might be "negative" is that one of the local
Mormon groups seems very insular - in that I have met several Mormons with
*huge*, apparantly church-bred, misconceptions about everyday society.  OTOH,
I have also met Mormons with a very good idea about what's going on.
Same here.

Same here.

There's a cliche for a Utah Mormon; e.g. "the Church is true, but even more so
in Utah".  I know a few induhviduals who have earnestly earned that title, but
just a few.  Most people I meet are actually very decent in this regard.

1:Except Scientology.  Legal status aside, that is NOT a religion.

I heard a conspiracy theory once that Scientology is the result of a bet
between Hubbard and Heinlein on who could build a bogus religion faster.
Heinlein lost because the editors chopped too much from _Stranger in a Strange
Land_.

See, here I go, bashing another religion; I'm just as arrogant as the next
guy.  Scientology is the only large religion which I take exceptional
exception to, for many (IMHO) good reasons.

ObInterestingThing:  There's a huge LDS church/mission on Exhibition Road in South
Kensington, London (SW7), right behind the Victoria and Albert Museum and across
the street from Imperial College and the Museum of Natural History.  It's a nice
building in itself, but it's surrounded by Victorian architecture on both sides, so
it looks kind of odd in situ.  A great piece of real estate, in any case!

I saw that one!  Just down the street from Harrod's, right?

It's a chapel, used for Sunday sessions and such.  The public is invited to
attend, I believe; though by the looks of the building, there's not a lot of
room.  The building's architecture is something like
bank-meets-office-building-in-the-50s.  Not a bad job, really, but quite a
jarring view when surrounded by the other buildings on the block.  And it's
got the longest wheelchair ramp I've *ever* seen.

But that South Kensington area, oh man!  I have never seen so many French
teen-agers in my life!  And the pastries were good, too.  :-,

Cheers,
- jsproat

Card-carrying member of the Star-Bellied Sneech Preservation Society