 Off-Topic / Debate / 4326
Re: Mormon bashing again
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 1 Mar 2000 22:56:53 GMT

James Brown wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
Arg.  I gotta vent. • <mucho snippage>
Still, because I'm a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day
Saints, I am marked as a zealot seeking political leverage using my church as
the crowbar.  Fume.  If anyone here in lugnet.off-topic.debate wants to flame
me for the religion I practice, please feel free to do so.  I'd really love to
have a rational discussion about this with anyone who harbors negative (or
neutral) feelings towards Mormons.

Okay, venting over.  I feel better now.

Zealot. :)

"My Life for Aiur!"  :)  Somehow, I don't think that's the sort of Zealot you
meant...

I don't really have any significant beefs with the LDS - at least, no more
than I have with any other organized religion(1), including my own.  I have
beefs with some individuals, but I make a distinction between a church and
it's members.  Something I think more people could use... I skimmed that
thread on /. and noticed a whole lot of broad strokes.

As a historian, one truly marvelous thing about the LDS church is the
recordkeeping.  It's stunning, and with good doctrinal reason.  It's the only place
to find definitive lineages for a lot of African-American and Native American
families, and it often picks up right where the DuBois Institute database leaves
off in the former case.  The most diligent genealogists and recordkeepers I've met
in the course of my own research have been Mormons, almost without exception.

The only thing I would say that might be "negative" is that one of the local
Mormon groups seems very insular - in that I have met several Mormons with
*huge*, apparantly church-bred, misconceptions about everyday society.  OTOH,
I have also met Mormons with a very good idea about what's going on.

Same here.  I think that's true of any group, however.  (Lord knows, it's true of
academics--supposedly, the academy isn't a religion, but it's hard to tell the
difference some days!)  In the Mormon case, I'm not surprised there's a strong
sense of community and insularity in the core group.  A couple of times before
reaching Utah the Mormons tried to settle but were forced to move by local
officials and laypeople who decided it would be better to take the law into their
own hands and exterminate the entire group both for being "heathens" and for being
friendly to the Indians.  (Joseph Smith was lynched on one of these occasions, at
Nauvoo/Commerce, IL IIRC.)  There's definitely a strong Mormon presence in the
wider world, though--it's not a cloistered faith.

1:Except Scientology.  Legal status aside, that is NOT a religion.

I'm trying to remember the source of the quote about the difference between
something being called a cult and a religion being the number of practitioners and
who's using the term.  It might have been Bertrand Russell, which would fill in all
the other blanks by itself.  :)  Then again, Unitarianism has been called a cult
before too.

best

Lindsay

ObInterestingThing:  There's a huge LDS church/mission on Exhibition Road in South
Kensington, London (SW7), right behind the Victoria and Albert Museum and across
the street from Imperial College and the Museum of Natural History.  It's a nice
building in itself, but it's surrounded by Victorian architecture on both sides, so
it looks kind of odd in situ.  A great piece of real estate, in any case!