 Off-Topic / Debate / 4136
Re: Cheap American shot (Was: NEW Mindstorms set shown (with picture!))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 10:12:50 GMT

"G. Benedikt Rochow" wrote:

Yes. But the single area where the US is ludicrously falling behind -
that is to say, falling behind more and more as time goes by -
is pre-university education. A major reason is the basic one-school-
fits-all system which succeeds at pushing every student towards
mediocrity. Even in Germany, a similar system is being pushed
rather a bit, with pretty bad results.

<snip>

So, why is the US doing so well? Grrreat universities.
(When the Construction Site says "Why are Germans such great
Engineers?" in Fischertechnik, well, sorry, particularly these
days, they mean "craftsmanship", not engineers educated at slow,
ponderous, underfunded (tuition-free) overrun German universities.)
Oddly (not really) you have a lot of student educated at foreign
high schools flooding (and unproportionally dominating,
achievement-wise) high-tech/science majors at US universities.

<snip>

I have several Turkish friends studied at US high schools during a one
year period by scholarship from AFS (an international student exchange
program for high school students). While all of them impressed their
USian high school teachers by their ability in areas like math and
physics, the most successful and prestigious universities that we have
in Turkey are the few and proud "US system" ones.

I have also many friends went to US with a scholarship for graduate or
under graduate studies, and they appreciated the US universities.

For the "dumbness" stereotype, I think it is not different for any known
country. All of them have their own distribution about the "dumbness
level" of their own people, which must be a gaussian one, and should not
be much different than the others, I mean, approx. 10% at the each end
(dumb and genius) and approx. 80% is just about "average", either
slightly below, or above. The trick is, how a given country does well
has nothing to do with this 80%+10%(at dumb edge)=90%, but directly
related to the quality of the remaining 10%(at genius edge).

As a occlusion, I don't believe a "representative" group of people from
a country can master another group from another country, but even this
would not have been true, it has little to no effect on a country's well
being. A country's power directly related by the top 10% of their people
(who are the wanna be leaders) and how well and efficient it can educate
and value them.

Selçuk