 Off-Topic / Debate / 4179
Re: Cheap American shot (Was: NEW Mindstorms set shown (with picture!))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2000 01:20:23 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Paul Gyugyi writes:
Which is precisely why silly things like WW2 history are not
emphasized in US schools.  The US is a memoryless society
where the opportunity-of-the-moment guides the actions.
Having vast masses unconcerned with geography and history
is an important part of "domestic tranquility".  All the
average person needs to know is that "we won".

-gyug

Actually, I would be willing to argue that the reason that WWII, the Korean
War and the Vietnam War are not covered in US history classes, is that there
are too many people to whom these conflicts are 'current events'. I remember
just 10 years ago when I was in high school, I would ask questions about the
aforementioned wars, and my teachers would be astounded that I didn't know
things that they knew "because that just happened" (ie; since they were alive
when it happened, I should know about it too, because I'm alive at the same
time they are). I distinctly remember asking my mom something about WWII and
she was amazed that I needed to know that for *history* class, because that
was current events (she lived through WWII, so it's current events, right?).

-Cheese