 Off-Topic / Debate / 4125
Re: Cheap American shot (Was: NEW Mindstorms set shown (with picture!))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 02:15:37 GMT

Eric Kingsley wrote:
Personally I don't think that pigeonholing age ranges is appropriate in any
case except for infants where choking is the primary fear.  Older children do
mature differently and at different rates (although that is NOT tide to
culture) and putting age ranges on a box IMO is wrong because in general what
companies do is take the lowest common denomonator to decide what ages to put
on a box and this often keeps people from buying product for a child because
they do not fit into the age range for the product.  This both hinders the
childs development and IMO encourages slower development to keep the kids in
step with their peer group.

I'm a parent of children ranging from age 6 to 16, and I happen to
really appreciate suggested age ranges.  Although all of my kids are
well past the age of putting things into their mouth that they could
choke on, I've observed that the youngest two (ages 6 and 8) find it
genuinely frustrating when they are unable to keep up to what their
older brothers do.  A suggested age range on a box gives me an idea of
how difficult something is going to be, and I weigh that very heavily in
my consideration of gift-buying if I am not personally acquainted with
the product.  I do not do this to censor what sort of things I get my
children, I do this because I know what my youngest kids are like, and I
know how frustrated they get when confronted with new challenges.  I'd
love it if they were more willing to explore the unknown and try new
things, but it just doesn't seem to be in their personality, so I have
to judge carefully whatever it is that I am getting them.  Age ranges
help that.

Mark