 Off-Topic / Debate / 4031
  Re: Cheap American shot (Was: NEW Mindstorms set shown (with picture!))

First off all replys to this have been set to off-topic.debate (...) Mr. Jezek, I happen to think your steriotyping of the American culture is appalling. First, have you ever been to the U.S. and second have you ever lived in the U.S. If not you (...) (24 years ago, 30-Jan-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Cheap American shot (Was: NEW Mindstorms set shown (with picture!))

Snip (...) I (...) they (...) This is also a class issue, where lower incomes get pushed to "lower end" jobs while higher classes get to have their sons and daughters assume management roles no matter how stupid they are. (Which I which we certainly (...) (24 years ago, 30-Jan-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Cheap American shot (Was: NEW Mindstorms set shown (with picture!))

I really did not want to jump into a sensitive issue, but I think I have some insight to offer that may be enlightening to people both in and outside of the USA. I am not making any statements one way or the other, and I reserve my own opinions to (...) (24 years ago, 30-Jan-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Cheap American shot (Was: NEW Mindstorms set shown (with picture!))

I'd like to make one more point, especially to Mr. Rutkas Some of the previous posts originate from patriottic sentiments. Nothing badly wrong with that, but some would call these sentiments nationalistic. Nationalism is one of the things that (...) (24 years ago, 30-Jan-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Cheap American shot (Was: NEW Mindstorms set shown (with picture!))

I agree with most of what Kyle said in this calm, well written post as well as the other one he posted in response to Clint. However, there are two fundamental points I do wish to take issue with and they are as follows: - Cultural relativism is not (...) (24 years ago, 30-Jan-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Cheap American shot (Was: NEW Mindstorms set shown (with picture!))

I would like to applaud Kyle for writing a very mature post without any naming calling. I was beginning to think that it wasn't possible. What I feel some of us are failing to realize is that every country is essentially the same. There are some (...) (24 years ago, 30-Jan-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Cheap American shot (Was: NEW Mindstorms set shown (with picture!))

(...) Yes. But the single area where the US is ludicrously falling behind - that is to say, falling behind more and more as time goes by - is pre-university education. A major reason is the basic one-school- fits-all system which succeeds at pushing (...) (24 years ago, 1-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Cheap American shot (Was: NEW Mindstorms set shown (with picture!))

(...) I'm a parent of children ranging from age 6 to 16, and I happen to really appreciate suggested age ranges. Although all of my kids are well past the age of putting things into their mouth that they could choke on, I've observed that the (...) (24 years ago, 2-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Cheap American shot (Was: NEW Mindstorms set shown (with picture!))

(...) <snip> (...) <snip> I have several Turkish friends studied at US high schools during a one year period by scholarship from AFS (an international student exchange program for high school students). While all of them impressed their USian high (...) (24 years ago, 2-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Cheap American shot (Was: NEW Mindstorms set shown (with picture!))

Which is precisely why silly things like WW2 history are not emphasized in US schools. The US is a memoryless society where the opportunity-of-the-moment guides the actions. Having vast masses unconcerned with geography and history is an important (...) (24 years ago, 3-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Cheap American shot (Was: NEW Mindstorms set shown (with picture!))

(...) Actually, I would be willing to argue that the reason that WWII, the Korean War and the Vietnam War are not covered in US history classes, is that there are too many people to whom these conflicts are 'current events'. I remember just 10 years (...) (24 years ago, 4-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)