 Off-Topic / Debate / 3961
Re: Art Debate Was: [Re: Swearing?]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2000 23:10:21 GMT

I wasn't a 100% fan of Truman but he did have one thing on his desk that
pretty much summed it up for me...

A sign that said "the buck stops here"

James Brown wrote:

What puzzles me about this whole argument is how you(in the general sense)
can be advocating person x being responsible for person y's actions?  If
someone else causes a violation of rights, how can I being punished for
that if I'm not directly linked to their actions?  That seems contradictory
to the underpinnings of libertarian thought.

Now, if said company officers can be shown beyond reasonable doubt to be
responsible, then heck yeah, throw the book at them!  But if they're not
involved, why are they at fault?

They're the CEO. By definition, they're involved. Start enforcing that
thinking and you are going to see big corporations being a lot more
careful.

I understand the sentiment, but I don't understand the position.

You(the collective you) appear to say that the officers of a company are
liable for the actions of that company REGARDLESS of whether or not they are
personally responsible, or personally involved.

That is just plain wrong, IMHO, and I can't get around it.

How do you justify person X being responsible for person Y's actions?  Boiled
down, that's exactly what you are claiming here.

To put it another way, you are saying that lacking evidence to the contrary,
the CEO of any given corporation is guilty of any crimes commited by anyone in
that organization.  That places the burden of proof in the wrong direction -
Guilt is assumed, and people have to prove their innocence.  How does that
jive with "people are essentially good"?

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/