 Off-Topic / Debate / 388
Re: Frog
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 8 Feb 1999 23:21:11 GMT

If you don't eat people, but do eat cows merely because that's what your
parents did, I think that's a shame.  Why not explore the reasoning
behind it, and come up with a rational explanation for your actions, or
change them if you can not?

There are too many things in the world to derive all of them from first
principals.  I accept all sorts of things that I was taught without
reasoning through them fully, I suspect you do as well.  If there are some
issues that we each feel the need to investigate then once again the line
that defines those issues is up to us to define.

Changing your actions simply because you cannot explain them is stupid.
What do you change your actions to?  The first step is to find a new action
that makes more sense to you and then change to that.  The important steep
is not changing from an old "bad" action but moving on to a new "better"
action.

I first ate cows because that is what my parents put in front of me.   No I
realize that I quite like cows, they taste good.  Looking at my teeth I see
that I am perfectly suited for eating cows, it has no ill effects on me (not
so for the cow however).

If I had grown up in a society that practiced cannibalism then I suspect I
would feel the same way about eating people.

"but what about the cows/peoples feelings? isn't it bad for them?"

Possibly, I guess my answer to that is simple, In questions of morality
there is no absolute truth.  We may have grown up in a society with rules so
strict (such as not eating people) that the seem like absolutes but I assure
you they are not, Morals are defined purely by the society we live in, they
differ, they change and evolve.

The society I grew up in accepts that eating cows is Ok (on the whole) so
that is what my moral tends towards.

My only regret is that I probably won't ever find out what human flesh
tastes like.

Tim
wow that was longer than it needed to be.