 Off-Topic / Debate / 402
Re: Frog
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 15:01:41 GMT

Tim McSweeney wrote:

There are too many things in the world to derive all of them from first
principals.  I accept all sorts of things that I was taught without
reasoning through them fully, I suspect you do as well.  If there are some
issues that we each feel the need to investigate then once again the line
that defines those issues is up to us to define.

Right.  Mostly because we don't have time to question everything.

Changing your actions simply because you cannot explain them is stupid.

Thinking about them and trying to explain them is not.

What do you change your actions to?  The first step is to find a new action
that makes more sense to you and then change to that.  The important steep
is not changing from an old "bad" action but moving on to a new "better"
action.

I agree.  But, you won't ever come up with something better without
questioning the status quo.  To improve you have to be willing to
question yourself.

I first ate cows because that is what my parents put in front of me.   No I
realize that I quite like cows, they taste good.  Looking at my teeth I see
that I am perfectly suited for eating cows, it has no ill effects on me (not
so for the cow however).

If I had grown up in a society that practiced cannibalism then I suspect I
would feel the same way about eating people.

I think that most cannibalistic groups treated it as a special or ritual
treat, not the way most of us treat cow flesh.  You would probably feel
somewhat different about it.

"but what about the cows/peoples feelings? isn't it bad for them?"

I don't follow what you mean.

Morals are defined purely by the society we live in, they
differ, they change and evolve.

Morals in a broad sense might be, but I assure you that my own morals
vary from that of my peers fairly broadly.  I would have to say that in
a personal sense, they are not defined by society.

wow that was longer than it needed to be.

Oh well.

--
Sincerely,

Christopher L. Weeks