 Off-Topic / Debate / 3665
Re: Libertarian stuff (Was: Re: Art Debate Was: [Re: Swearing?])
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 20:19:27 GMT

Jasper Janssen wrote:

On Wed, 12 Jan 2000 21:48:49 GMT, "John DiRienzo"
<ig88888888@stlnet.com> wrote:

  I live in a city. You must be right, I am blind, because I have never
seen a child without a home here.  They must hide very well.

If you don't look, you won't see them. I've seen homeless children
_here_. In the Netherlands. Where there are charities _and_
government-sponsored institutions _galore_ to mtake care of them.

And your point is? I think you're just proving the contention that no
system is perfect. I also have to say that the only "homeless" children
I have ever seen in the US have been being served by homeless shelters.
I have never seen a child sleeping under a bridge (though I'm sure that
it happens occaisionally). Now either you spend a lot more time in areas
where homeless are likely to hang out, or the Netherlands has a bigger
problem than the US. I have to admit that I'm not qualified to make a
judgement, but do think about the possibility that your system with more
government aid for the needy creates a society which is less able to
help them (or produces more needy people).

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com