 Off-Topic / Debate / 3664
Re: Libertarian stuff (Was: Re: Art Debate Was: [Re: Swearing?])
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 20:25:49 GMT

On Wed, 12 Jan 2000 21:30:47 GMT, Frank Filz <ffilz@mindspring.com>
wrote:

If the kids don't have whatever it takes, they don't have it. No amount
of government posturing is going to fix it. If people really feel these
kids deserve a break (and perhaps if this REALY is the case, they do),
then charity will step in.

You say this as if it is necessarily true. I haven't yet seen even
Larry produce any evidence that this is in fact the case. So replace
"will" with "may" for the moment, please.

There will be some kind of correctional system, funded by fees to
property owners who wish to keep the crooks of the street at worst. In

Prisoner's dilemma. If you're the _one_ not paying when everyone else
is, it is to your advantage. If nobody pays, you're all at a
disadvantage. The problem  is that psychology has shown that humans
_don't_ choose the best overall scheme when faced with one of these.

Therefore, there will be no such correctional scheme.

And _that_ is the primary function of government -- to remove these
dilemmas by making everyone pay for the privileges of living in a
society where things are taken care of, for various values of
"things".

A few other things entirely, which I don't quite know where to put:

Larry, you have said that you agree there is a social contract, but
that you want to change the wording (as it were) to be more
libertarian.

You've also said that you see no problem with cheating on your income
taxes. How does this jive?

"Love it or leave it": If it was worth it to you, you _could_ leave
and found your own country. Since you don't spend the money to go out
to the Moon and found your own republic there, plus enough weaponry to
Assure Mutual Destruction to make sure nobody attacks, you're
obviously not worthy of having your own country.

Unless I'm greatly mistaken, this is the same reasoning you have used
countless times to justify things.

Jasper