 Off-Topic / Debate / 3573
Re: Art Debate Was: [Re: Swearing?]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 11:38:31 GMT

On Tue, 11 Jan 2000 20:34:30 GMT, mattdm@mattdm.org (Matthew Miller)
wrote:

Oh my -- I don't think the market will do a good job of taking care of the
enviroment at all. It's way too much of a long term thing. I think it's been
adequately shown that, in the absence of some sort of regulation,
corporations will do very very nasty things to the environment. I'm not even
talking about hard-to-quantify potential problems like global warming --
look at leaded gasoline, for example.

Screw leaded gasoline - look at the dumping of heavy metals in
every-place-they-can-find, historically.

And lead, cadmium, and all the rest are much more heinous in those
sorts of concentrations than in leaded gasoline.

There's less problems from the lead in the gasoline than from the
platinum in catalysts. Did you know nowadays when a road gets broken
up, it's economically viable to take the rubble and refine it solely
for the platinum and the reconstituted asfalt?

Jasper