 Off-Topic / Debate / 3517
Re: Art Debate Was: [Re: Swearing?]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 20:34:30 GMT

Scott E. Sanburn <ssanburn@cleanweb.net> wrote:
Hmmm, I just read over Genesis 1:26 - 28, "The God said, Let us make man
in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the
sea and the birds of the air...."

"Rule" is a complicated word, of course. KJV says "let them have dominion
over". I don't know what the original hebrew uses, or the cultural
implications of the concept when this was put into writing.

My understanding is that ancient hebrew culture had some fairly progressive
social concepts -- the sabbath is a start towards worker's rights, and the
"year of jubilee" concept is a _very_ interesting conception of property
rights. Check out Leviticus 25. In particular, verse 23:

"The land must not be sold permanently, because the land is mine and you
  are but aliens and my tenants."

(Says God.)

I find t very interesting that most environmentalists don't believe in
God, much less the Bible. Also, it says that in Exodus 20:3, it says

Well, I think you're seeing a skewed view of that. I know very many
environmentalist christians who very strongly biblically ground their
beliefs. (There's definitely people who can do a better job of representing
this to you than I can.) But Christianity represents only about a third of
the people in the world (and within that third, there's an amazing diversity
of belief), and environmental concerns affect all of us. So I think
environmental education tends to downplay any religious aspect. And if it's
coming in schools, I think it certainly _should_ be that way.

"You shall have no other gods before me. v4: "You shall not make for
yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth
beneath or in the waters below....."

"In the form" pretty clearly means "a representation of". Again, I'm at a
disadvantage because I don't know the original language, but KJV says "any
likeness of any thing...". This is why some of my Amish relatives don't
allow pictures to be taken of them.

I think some environmentalists worship the earth, worship nature, etc.
They think mankind is a curse on the planet. The Bible clearly states

Some may. That's a really extreme view held by very few people. They're
welcome to _have_ that view, but I agree that it shouldn't be taught that
way in school. Schools should approach it from a scientific viewpoint.
(Public schools need to either stay clear of religion altogether, or else
try to give an overview of various viewpoints without espousing any -- which
is almost impossible to do.)

He is actively involved with everything. I think if you don't believe He
is in complete control, you put Him in a box, thinking man can do it by
himself, which, from my beliefs, and my religious convictions, is
futile. God is in control, and He is the controller of the environment.
We can help, we are learning some of the errors, but ultimately, He will
decide on things, and He will decide the fate of humanity.

I can't speak to that ultimately, being a dreaded atheist and all.

But from a christian perspective: don't we still have to take personal
responsibility for what God has given us to take care of?

I put caring of the environment as somewhat important, let's see what
the market does instead of Washington, and see what happens. If you want
some real environmental disasters, look at the former USSR.

Oh my -- I don't think the market will do a good job of taking care of the
enviroment at all. It's way too much of a long term thing. I think it's been
adequately shown that, in the absence of some sort of regulation,
corporations will do very very nasty things to the environment. I'm not even
talking about hard-to-quantify potential problems like global warming --
look at leaded gasoline, for example.