 Off-Topic / Debate / 3516
Re: Art Debate Was: [Re: Swearing?]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 19:52:31 GMT

Matthew Miller wrote:

Well, if you don't learn anything else, it probably won't. But stewardship
of our resources is one of our most important tasks as human beings, and it
arguably benefits everyone to learn tools to help with that.

Yes, but not with the militant attitude of the modern environmentalist
movement.

(From a christian standpoint: this is one of the first commandments god
gives to humans, in Genesis 1:26-28. A good ruler takes care of that which
he or she rules -- consider the parable of the talents in Matthew 25.)

Hmmm, I just read over Genesis 1:26 - 28, "The God said, Let us make man
in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the
sea and the birds of the air...."

I find t very interesting that most environmentalists don't believe in
God, much less the Bible. Also, it says that in Exodus 20:3, it says
"You shall have no other gods before me. v4: "You shall not make for
yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth
beneath or in the waters below....."

I think some environmentalists worship the earth, worship nature, etc.
They think mankind is a curse on the planet. The Bible clearly states
God put mankind here. I have argued with some environmentalists from
Ohio State, my high school, and Mott Community College. If you believe
in God, and believe He is omnipotent, and that He created the universe,
then I should think He can handle one little planet like Earth. I think
He is actively involved with everything. I think if you don't believe He
is in complete control, you put Him in a box, thinking man can do it by
himself, which, from my beliefs, and my religious convictions, is
futile. God is in control, and He is the controller of the environment.
We can help, we are learning some of the errors, but ultimately, He will
decide on things, and He will decide the fate of humanity.

I still remember environmentalists crying global cooling in the 70's,
when it wasn't politically viable, they than switched to global warming,
which has fared better, in the political realm.

I put caring of the environment as somewhat important, let's see what
the market does instead of Washington, and see what happens. If you want
some real environmental disasters, look at the former USSR.

Nice try, however.

Scott S.