 Off-Topic / Debate / 3513
Re: Art Debate Was: [Re: Swearing?]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 19:12:30 GMT

Matthew Miller wrote:

Scott E. Sanburn <ssanburn@cleanweb.net> wrote:
information on the environment is staggering, and very disturbing. My
niece knows how to recycle, and the inherit "evils" of corporations,
etc. But she has hardly any knowledge of history, math, etc. That scares
me.

I agree that history, math, and etc., are important, but isn't teaching
about caring for the environment important too? Is your fear that they're
not learning both, or is it mostly from the fact that they're learning this
at all?

Caring about the environment and worshipping it are two different
issues, and I don't think the present environmental movement, with its
willing participants in the education system, is healthy. Kids should
know both sides of things, not whatever the teacher makes them. Learning
the basics is very important, learning about the environment is not as
important, IMO. I don't equate environmentalism with knowledge that will
help you throughout life.

Scott S.