 Off-Topic / Debate / 3572
Re: Libertarian stuff (Was: Re: Art Debate Was: [Re: Swearing?])
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 04:27:15 GMT

John DiRienzo <ig88888888@stlnet.com> wrote:
  Matthew, give me the link to the post you needed answered.  It is long
gone... Thanks

This is what I meant in specific:

http://www.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=3450

But there's actually two true/false statements which go before that. Just
give an agree/disagree (or a mostly agree/mostly disagree) (I mostly
disagree with both, btw -- see my reply to the above post for details) so we
know sorta what direction you're coming at this from.

1. Property rights are natural rights.
2. Property rights are the only natural rights.

(Natural rights are rights which are derived from Nature (which can but
doesn't have to be thought of as synonymous with The Creator) as opposed to
rights derived from human interaction. The idea goes back at least as far as
Aristotle (although the ancient Greeks were much more concerned with the
concept of "duty"), and is strongly connected with Hobbes, Locke, and
Rousseau in the Enlightenment, which is when the concept of human rights was
really became developed.)