 Off-Topic / Debate / 3472
Re: Libertarian stuff (Was: Re: Art Debate Was: [Re: Swearing?])
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2000 21:47:30 GMT

On Mon, 10 Jan 2000 01:39:53 GMT, "Richard Franks"
<spontificus@__nospam__yahoo.com> wrote:

What happens when parents (inevitably) decide that they can provide a decent
education at home, rather than spending all of that money?

You mean just like they do now? (Home schooling was ruled
constitutional, IIRC. At any rate, it took the courts.)

Putting on my Libertarian hat, I'd probably guess that the state would force
parents to pay a third-party organisation to certify them as being able to
provide a suitable education.

And who certifies the certfier? IOW, quis custodet custodies?

I'd guess that would have to be either a fourth-party, certified by
the state, or the state directly - I'd as soon cut out the middlemen.
That at least inherently has the possibility of being efficient.

Then what if the parents can't afford that?

Then they shouldn't have had children in the first place, so the
correct course of action would obviously be to throw the parent in
jail and throw the kid out on the street, where it may or may not be
picked up by a private orphanage. Unless they can get a private
charity to sponsor their kid, of course.

Even if the reduction in income which led to all that was totally
unforeseeable at the time of conception of child.

"But there _will_ be charities for such cases!"

Bovine excrement, I say. It doesn't happen, it's _never_ happened
before in the history of mankind, why should it start happening now?

I support Libertarians on trying to reduce laws, make services more efficient,
and re-introducing personal responsibility into the mix.. but my biggest

By all means, go ahead.

sticking point is the "scrap the welfare system" aim. Is the concept of a fair
tax really that evil?

The welfare system is not the same as the progressive tax system. The
concepts are slightly related, but not that much.

It's a lot more fun being able to pay a tax than it is having to rely upon the
services it provides to survive!

You know what? I receive money from the government. It downright
_sucks_. And I'm going to stop doing it as soon as is humanly
possible. But I'm very glad that it is there, and that I don't
necessarily have to rely on my parents for cash. Not that they
wouldn't or don't support me, but it's still good to know that I
_could_, if things go absolutely wrong, do without.

Even if it would mean giving up lego, a computer, TV, the occasional
brie or single malt[1], darts, etc.

Jasper

[1] Which I only drink very rarely, anyway. Ifn it ain't a single
malt, it's not worth buying, and if it is, it's _expensive_.