 Off-Topic / Debate / 3411
  Re: Libertarian theory and altruism (was: some incorrectly spelled thing not worth repeating

(...) War is actually quite a good driver of economy. The Germans weren't doing all that bad financially. They robbed a hell of a lot of people to do it, though. "when they came for the homosexuals, I did not say anything, because I was not a (...) (24 years ago, 8-Jan-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Libertarian theory and altruism (was: some incorrectly spelled thing not worth repeating

(...) No, they weren't doing all that badly--they were doing *abysmally*! The entropy of that system was increasing dramatically, because 40%+ of GNP was going to militarization--the only way to sustain the veneer of prosperity at the upper levels (...) (24 years ago, 11-Jan-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Libertarian theory and altruism (was: some incorrectly spelled thing not worth repeating

(...) Hmmm. I suppose you're probably right. I'm not much of an expert on the 19th or 20th century. Larry, have you ever studied history? I wonder, cause you seem to rely heavily on that "charity" thing. Jasper (24 years ago, 11-Jan-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Libertarian theory and altruism (was: some incorrectly spelled thing not worth repeating

(...) Yes. Have you? I'd go with no you haven't really "studied" it, if you're positing tulip mania as some sort of actual free market thing or example of why business cycles are inevitable. (...) The most free societies are the most charitable. (...) (24 years ago, 12-Jan-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Libertarian theory and altruism (was: some incorrectly spelled thing not worth repeating

(...) Tell me where the government interfered to make tulips more expensive. Tell me where the government interfered to make M:tG or Pokemon cards more expensive. (...) Does that include charity to non-organisations? Like, giving money right where (...) (24 years ago, 12-Jan-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)