 Off-Topic / Debate / 3496
Re: Libertarian theory and altruism (was: some incorrectly spelled thing not worth repeating
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 15:29:39 GMT

On Tue, 11 Jan 2000 07:41:52 GMT, Mr L F Braun
<braunli1@pilot.msu.edu> wrote:

No, they weren't doing all that badly--they were doing *abysmally*!  The entropy
of that system was increasing dramatically, because 40%+ of GNP was going to
militarization--the only way to sustain the veneer of prosperity at the upper
levels was to rob the out-groups of everything--capital, assets, and finally
their very bodies.  Not only was it horrifying, it remains one of the greatest
snow-jobs of history:  that Nazi Germany was somehow prosperous, or even
sustainable, economically.  It's right up there with the 1950s as a "Golden Age"
of the USA, the French First Republic as a great and true democratic experiment,
and slavery as the central issue of the US Civil War.

Hmmm. I suppose you're probably right. I'm not much of an expert on
the 19th or 20th century.

Larry, have you ever studied history? I wonder, cause you seem to rely
heavily on that "charity" thing.

Jasper