 Off-Topic / Debate / 3487
Re: Libertarian theory and altruism (was: some incorrectly spelled thing not worth repeating
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 07:41:52 GMT

Jasper Janssen wrote:

On Sat, 8 Jan 2000 05:17:05 GMT, Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net>
wrote:
Matthew Miller wrote:

Authoritarian fascism. (Not that I'm comparing ANYTHING to Nazis, Jasper.
*grin*) It's ALL regulated. 100% simple.

You got me there, it DOES deliver on the predictability aspect (as long
as the reich actually lasts 1000 years, and as long as the supreme
leader isn't very whim driven). How does it do on the rest of the list?
Rather more poorly, I'd venture.

War is actually quite a good driver of economy. The Germans weren't
doing all that bad financially. They robbed a hell of a lot of people
to do it, though.

No, they weren't doing all that badly--they were doing *abysmally*!  The entropy
of that system was increasing dramatically, because 40%+ of GNP was going to
militarization--the only way to sustain the veneer of prosperity at the upper
levels was to rob the out-groups of everything--capital, assets, and finally
their very bodies.  Not only was it horrifying, it remains one of the greatest
snow-jobs of history:  that Nazi Germany was somehow prosperous, or even
sustainable, economically.  It's right up there with the 1950s as a "Golden Age"
of the USA, the French First Republic as a great and true democratic experiment,
and slavery as the central issue of the US Civil War.

best,

Lindsay