 Off-Topic / Debate / 3370
Re: Art Debate Was: [Re: Swearing?]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 23:02:28 GMT

Matthew Miller wrote in message ...
Frank Filz <ffilz@mindspring.com> wrote:
I used to have this opinion. My feeling now is that anything worthwhile • that
the government does in the realm of social programs, WILL be provided in
some fashion in a Liberatopia. I know right now people do chose which town
to live in based on the schools, libraries, and museums that town has. • That

A community I lived in for a while didn't have access to a public library,
because the majority (but not an overwhelming majority -- something like
60%) of the people who lived there didn't want to pay the few cents in • taxes
to join the regional library program. And it wasn't because they were
building a privately-held public library of their own.

So move to a community which does have a library.

I would submit that universal education and access to libraries (whether or
not a right) are good things. I'm not convinced that this would happen in a
purely free capitalist system.

If it's worth the cost, it will happen. If it isn't worth the cost, then it
isn't worth the cost. Another thought, I think many of the longer existing
public libraries were actually established with a lot of donated money.

Actually, from my father's perspective, there are a bunch of commercial
reading rooms. He spends time in various bookstores just reading. I have to
admit that I find this somewhat distasteful, and if too many people did it,
bookstores would start shrink wrapping all the books.

Frank