 Off-Topic / Debate / 3369
Re: defining art (was "Swearing?")
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 16:56:14 GMT

  i'm in total agreement with you that "everything/ anything can be/ is art"
is a falsehood.  it is a greedy manipulation of art's inherent subjective
nature, and idicative of the ignorance and moral decay present in modern
society. (i blame warhol-ism for propogating this ideaology, btw)

Ah, this is an excellent point here.  Everything isn't art, but those whose • morals are flawed
will deem certain works which I would consider obscenities.  Still it's a very • subjective
definition, and nothing new to this discussion but it has been a very helpful • insight to me.
Another person earlier said that what one determines as art says more about • that person than
about the art itself, which I also can see.

Everything isn't art, but those *you deem* to have flawed morals will accept
certain works you consider obscenities.

See the difference?  You make the assumption in your statement that your
opinion on morals is the correct and only one.

My frustrations with what the world today calls art is related I guess to the • frustrations I
feel towards the moral plight of our society right now.

My last hope at some objective qualification would teeter on the notion that a • morally prefect
person's idea of what art is would be an absolute definition.  Any other • assertions would be
incorrect due to the flawed nature of the viewer.  This doesn't get us any • closer to an answer,
but it helps me anyway.

What a morally perfect person actually is is going to vary from one person to
the next.  You are trying to base an absolute on a subjective judgement.
Further, I'm not sure that it is anyone's interest in having a moral censor
deciding what is and isn't art.  Nor should what is and isn't art simply be a
morals issue.

Bruce