 Off-Topic / Debate / 3368
Re: Art Debate Was: [Re: Swearing?]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 15:31:09 GMT

Frank Filz <ffilz@mindspring.com> wrote:
I used to have this opinion. My feeling now is that anything worthwhile that
the government does in the realm of social programs, WILL be provided in
some fashion in a Liberatopia. I know right now people do chose which town
to live in based on the schools, libraries, and museums that town has. That

A community I lived in for a while didn't have access to a public library,
because the majority (but not an overwhelming majority -- something like
60%) of the people who lived there didn't want to pay the few cents in taxes
to join the regional library program. And it wasn't because they were
building a privately-held public library of their own.

I would submit that universal education and access to libraries (whether or
not a right) are good things. I'm not convinced that this would happen in a
purely free capitalist system.